Does My Dog Sleep Too Much?
- by Pedro Padierna
Dogs spend most of their day curled up in a comfy position, snoozing away. It’s so easy to envy them while we’re running around doing human things like getting the children ready for school, going through Zoom meetings, running errands, and much more.
But what if you have a feeling your dog is sleeping too much? Is there such a thing? And how can you tell if there’s something wrong? Here, we will answer all those questions!
How Much Do Dogs Sleep?
According to research, dogs spend between 12 and 14 hours sleeping each day. However, that is the average and how much your dog sleeps will depend on several factors. Here’s a list of the most common factors:
- Puppies and senior dogs need a lot more sleep than the average dog because their bodies need more rest to recover from activity. However, it’s important to maintain a healthy activity level for their age and physical ability. On average, puppies and senior dogs sleep between 15 and 20 hours. If your puppy or older dog is sleeping more than that, tell your vet.
- Level of activity. If your dog loves long walks and playing around, it’s normal for them to need more sleep. For example, highly active puppies will need from 18 to 20 hours of sleep. So, the more active your dog is, the more rest they will need.
- Both small and large dogs can need a lot of sleep. However, on average, large dogs tend to sleep a bit more. They need to take more naps because it takes them more energy to move around and engage in physical activity. Additionally, certain breeds are known for being big sleepers. Such as Mastiffs, Bulldogs, and Shih Tzus, to name a few.
How Do Dogs Sleep?
Research indicates that dogs sleep more during the night because they’re diurnal creatures, meaning they’re active during the day, which is why they’re influenced by their owners’ daily routines. By contrast, cats are crepuscular creatures, which means they’re more active at dawn and dusk. If you notice your dog sleeping too much during the day and your routine hasn’t changed, talk to your veterinarian.
Why Do Dogs Oversleep?
To provide some context, here are some of the reasons dogs may oversleep:
- They’re bored, so they need a bit more daily exercise and stimulation.
So, can dogs sleep too much? Sometimes.
- They may have an underlying weakness making them weak.
- They may be overweight or obese, so they may need to lose a few pounds.
- They have hypothyroidism.
- They are experiencing stress over something.
- They have separation anxiety.
- They are reflecting your routine, in which case you should make time for activities with them.
Here at Nina Woof, we’re not only passionate about providing insight, but we’re also passionate about offering premium pet supplies for your dog. We have gorgeous vegan leather dog leashes and collars, and also waste bag holder and dispenser. Treat your dog to a new accessory!